Root Canals Plano, TX
In Plano, TX, root canals are non-traumatic
Though the stereotype is outdated and inaccurate, the words “root canals” still have the power to stir anxiety in many people. Yet in Dr. Bindu Kolli’s gentle hands, this treatment has saved countless teeth across the Frisco, Plano, Irving, and Plano, TX area.
What is root canal treatment?
The part of the tooth you see is protected with a layer of hard enamel. Beneath enamel is dentin. At the center of the dentin structure is a hollow filled with pulp – vascular and nerve tissues. When enamel is compromised by a trauma or decay, harmful pathogens eventually reach the pulp chamber. As infection and pressure build, nerves become inflamed.
The condition is often acute, presenting sudden, severe pain and facial swelling. In other cases, it develops gradually, advancing from tenderness or temperature sensitivity to an intermittent toothache.
Without dental treatment, infection can spread to bone or systemically. For the root canal procedure, the core of the tooth and canals that carry nerves are cleaned out. Yet the natural tooth remains in place, with roots firmly embedded in jawbone.
Root canal therapy is a very common procedure. It has a reputation of being undesirable and painful. But when done properly it is actually painless. Every tooth in your mouth is composed of a crown and a root. When a cavity or bacteria penetrates the tooth, the root and its nerves become irritated. As a result, the bacteria within the pulp cavity needs to be removed and cleaned in order to restore the tooth to its healthy state. Following the procedure, the tooth is fragile and consequently is restored with the natural crown for a lifetime of durability. Root canals have a success rate of 95% or greater. Most root canal are diagnosed by patients’ sensitivities to a specific tooth. Be sure to consult your dentist any symptoms or discomfort occur.
Why root canals are nothing to fear in Irving or Plano, TX
From the patients’ perspective, root canals are no more remarkable than getting a filling. Here are some of the ways Dr. Kolli ensures a low-stress treatment experience:
- Top priority is getting you out of discomfort. Depending on severity of infection, this may entail pain medication and a course of antibiotics prior to your endodontic treatment.
- When you arrive for your appointment, you are settled into the chair and your mouth is thoroughly numbed.
- The tooth is opened, which immediately alleviates painful pressure in the pulp chamber.
- Dr. Kolli works efficiently, using special endodontic instruments to remove pulp and sanitize canals. Then the tooth is sealed and protected with a temporary restoration. (Plan to return in a few weeks to have a permanent crown placed.)
- At Southfork Dental, you also have the option of sedation – inhaled nitrous oxide or oral sedation – to relieve anxiety and relax your mouth and body.
Extraction is generally the only alternative to root canal therapy. While extraction may be a bit less than root canal cost, there is simply no substitute as good as your natural tooth.
Call 469-535-6939 to schedule an appointment at Southfork Dental. We have offices in Irving and Plano.