Dental Sealants Murphy TX
Dental sealants: Cavity defense in Murphy, TX
Tooth decay is responsible for more than 11 million missed school days for American kids every year, and billions are spent on related dental repairs. The cost of discomfort, embarrassment, and inconvenience cannot be measured. Yet a simple, painless treatment at Southfork Dental is helping patients throughout the Murphy, TX, Irving, Frisco, and Plano area avoid cavities. Dental sealants reduce the risk of tooth decay in molars by about 80 percent.
What are dental sealants?
Dental sealant is liquid plastic. This teeth coating is painted onto chewing surfaces of premolars and molars at the back of the mouth. The product flows into microscopic grooves and pits in enamel, bonding solidly into these depressions. Sealant forms a protective shield that keeps food debris and cavity-causing bacteria out of crevices where most tooth decay starts.
Here are some of the reasons Southfork Dental patients love sealants:
- Convenient – Sealant adds only a few minutes to a regular cleaning and checkup appointment.
- Pain-free – There is no numbing, probing, or drilling.
- Unnoticeable – The permanent tooth paint is clear or tooth-colored.
- Healthy – Sealants are BPA-safe.
- Long lasting – While protection diminishes gradually as the product wears thin, studies show that sealant provides benefit for up to ten years.
- Cost effective – The cost of just one filling or crown can easily exceed the expense of dental sealant treatment.
Murphy, TX dentist recommends dental sealants, starting from…
Dr. Kolli suggests dental sealant as soon as a child’s permanent molars emerge, usually around age six and 12. However, it is never too late to take advantage of this safeguard on any teeth that do not have fillings or other restorations. In addition, dental sealant may be applied to a very small cavity, detected early, to halt progression and avoid need for drilling and filling.
Any adult with increased propensity to tooth decay can also be a candidate for dental sealant treatment. This includes smokers, people with chronic dry mouth, genetic predisposition to cavities, or molars with a lot of enamel irregularities.
If you or your kids ever get cavities, Dr. Kolli will take great care of you, providing treatment that restores the look and function of your smile. Wouldn’t you rather not have fillings though? Call 469-535-6939 to schedule application of dental sealants at our Irving or Murphy, TX office